Lowell’s football team equalizes Lawrence 36-33 for first win – Lowell Sun

Blake Ramos led a Red Raider revival and the Lowell High football team edged Lawrence, 36-33, on Friday night at Lawrence.

The senior running back broke in on a crucial 6-yard touchdown run with 1:33 to play, giving his team their first win of the season.

“It’s awesome,” Ramos said. “We worked all week, every week. This is what we play for.

The victory was very special for coach Rob Pike and his team, ending six weeks of frustration after a difficult 0-6 start.

“No problem, no sweat at all,” Pike said, his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. “All the kids played well, but so did Lawrence. They made big plays too. It really was a question of who had had it last.

Locked in a 21-21 stalemate at halftime, the game settled in a fast and furious fourth quarter, with the leader exchanging hands four times.

Lawrence opened the frantic frame with a flurry. Janel Herrerra threw 5 yards to pay dirt to give her team their first ball game lead. Exavier Gomez’s extra kick that followed was blocked, however, a game that would eventually come back to haunt them.

Lowell (1-6) was quick to regroup, despite recalling a touchdown during a call on hold. Jaden Sim stayed on the course rumbling on a 2-yard flurry, his second touchdown of the game, equalizing at 27-27. Ramos added his fourth of his five extra kicks, as the Red Raiders regained their 28-27 lead.

Lawrence refused to walk away quietly, however, as Andy Medina caught a 64-yard Hail Mary in the next snap, regaining the 33-28 advantage, setting the stage for Ramos’ winning drive moments longer. late. Quarterback Evan Seng added a two-point conversion run giving Lowell a 36-33 lead in the dying minutes to seal the victory.

According to Ramos, the team has never lost its focus.

“We thought we had it,” Ramos said. “We are still talking about it. We say “keep your cool and keep playing one piece at a time”. That’s what we did. It was awesome.

The two teams played a tied first half, with Lowell taking the lead throughout. Sim got things going with a 5-yard sprint into the end zone, before Aaron Morris took over with a pair of TD courts to maintain the 21-7 lead at one point.

Lawrence held his own, however, using his home advantage to score 21 points in the second half, which worried Lowell.

Pike was pleased with his team’s determination, overcoming not one, but two leader changes in the fourth quarter, which would usually shatter a team’s morale.

“Kids never put their heads down,” Pike said. “They just kept playing and performing. That’s what’s remarkable about these guys. They have a ton of courage and persistence, they never give up. It’s a fun group to train. I am proud of them.

Source link

Previous From the DA Office - University of Richmond Athletics
Next Leicester vs Man Utd live score and results updates: most recent Premier League as Daka seals Leicester victory

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *